Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Moero!

Today I went to my first-ever baseball game. It was great fun. In fact, I'm going again tomorrow. ^_^

I supported the Tokyo Yakult Swallows at the Yokohama stadium. I'd wanted to support the home team, Yokohama Bay Stars - seeing as I live in Yokohama - but my hairdresser Ryu is a Swallows fan. After he gave us a whole bag full of Swallows cheerleading equipment, I felt we didn't have much choice.

As it turned out, the Swallows did lose, 12-8. But actually, for a long time it was a terrible game. At the end of the 8th inning (there are 9 innings altogether), we were losing 12-3. That's a very bad way to lose. But in the last innings, the Swallows got a whopping five runs. So they turned a crushing defeat into a fairly respectable one.

Any time the Swallows were at bat, the whole fan section would cheer in unison, using these cheering bats like claves. Any time the Swallow got a run, the whole cheer section became a mass of novelty green umbrellas. We had Swallows umbrellas - complete with cute mascot on the top - just for that purpose. Hahaha. Ryu said he has about 8 pairs of cheering bats at his hair salon. Haha...

I feel baseball is a more interesting sport than soccer (mind you, I'm going to another Frontale soccer game on Sunday and looking forward to it ^_^).

No comments: