Sunday, March 8, 2009

Economic stimulation

So, I heard that Aussies will be getting $900 handouts as part of an economic stimulus plan. Sadly, I will not qualify for this. However, Japan has its own economic stimulus plan, which I am apparently eligible for. I can look forward to the princely sum of 12,000 yen (about AU $190).

That's right. Japanese consumers are not spending enough, so ¥12,000 is supposed to turn things around! It's a pretty weak plan. You could buy a family's weekly groceries with that. Or half a cheap digital camera. Or a one-way train fare to Kyoto. It's a safe bet that most consumers will do what they have been doing all along, and save it.

However, I am not complaining and look forward to my share, thank you. ^_^

Actually, now that the Australian dollar has tanked, everything seems more valuable/expensive here in comparison. Before, it was roughly $1 = ¥100.

Today I had a ¥520 cappuccino, which was already overpriced when it was worth AU $5.20, but now equates to $8.20!! It's no wonder tourism from Australia has declined in Japan recently...

(And no, it wasn't an especially remarkable cappuccino. That's what you pay when you go to non-corporate-chain cafes here.)

No comments: