Monday, August 10, 2009

Earthquake!

We had two quite big earthquakes in the last 36 hours. Here's a report on the ABC website.

Lee and I got woken at around 5am this morning; the windows were rattling violently. The floor was swaying back and forth between us. I thought 'it's a stronger quake than usual', and sat up and moved into the middle of the room (thinking to move away from any objects that could fall on me. Lee was also woken up by it (she's in Japan for the week, staying with me ^_^) and we both sat up.

Apparently it was a quake of magnitude 6.6! Fortunately we're not right at the epicentre so it was a little less powerful where we were. We didn't have any objects falling over or anything. But it was certainly the strongest earthquake I've ever felt.

Actually, there was another earthquake - during the day on Sunday - which was apparently slightly stronger, but I guess it might have been further away?

I hadn't felt any earthquakes for a few months.

1 comment:

yoko_vibe said...

By the way, this is the blog author. I've noticed quite a few people finding this page in web searches for 'Kawasaki earthquake'. You've probably noticed that this post of mine was written two years ago, and is not about the current earthquake.

As for news from Kawasaki, I'm not living there now, so I don't know firsthand. However, all my friends who live there seem to be fine. Many lost phone access for a while; some got stranded far from home because of the trains being down. Buildings were evacuated and the earthquake was strongly felt, however I have not heard of any damage (which is not to say there was none). Beyond that, I'm sorry I don't have much news.