Saturday, February 23, 2008

Anyone for some nice, delicious hormones?

Some of my students were trying to tell me that there's a nearby restaurant where you can eat hormones.

'Hormones?!' I repeated. 'Restaurants don't serve hormones. You can't see hormones.'

But they all insisted. I tried to envisage a plate of hormones, and failed. Later, I asked one of the staff members, 'oh, some of my students were saying you can order hormones around here?', expecting her to correct my misunderstanding, and she said 'oh yeah, yeah, hormones, that's right.'

Tonight, some students and staff went out for dinner and drinks to this very restaurant, and I now realise they were talking about hōrumon-yaki, which is beef or pork offal.

Yes, I now live in a world where it's common to go out for a nice meal of offal. Actually it was pretty nice. I refuse to eat intestine, which is just like eating slimy fat, but the heart and liver and other parts were pretty nice, marinated and barbecued and eaten with sauce and spring onion. Mm mm! :) And everyone wore paper bibs. :)

[click on a picture to see it larger]


No comments: