Monday, February 4, 2008

Furenchi Tosuto

Today was sunny and some of the snow melted, but not all of it; there really was quite a bit of it...

I went for a haircut. I wish I could reproduce the way my hairdresser talks. He's hilarious. He uses so many miscellaneous Japanese phrases in every sentence, and although his vocabulary is pretty good, he always says 'goodly' instead of 'well'...
'Anou, so I called you desu ne, sorry I don't speak goodly on the (anou) phone, nan ka, I need to work on that desu yo ne...'

I ordered French toast at a bakery today. I got a surprise. You'd agree, wouldn't you, that French toast is very much a savoury food, and not at all sweet? I was expecting toast dipped in egg. Well, what I got was bread that tasted, and had the same consistency as, pancakes. It *looked* like bread. But it was topped with icing sugar and icecream!! I must say, it tasted really good. As it turns out, in most countries, French toast *is* a sweet, not savoury, dish!

No comments: