Monday, October 20, 2008

Flying high in the sky...

I went into Tokyo today and went to a new place, Takadanobaba (tell me that ain't a mouthful). This area is a neighbourhood of Shinjuku. As I also discovered, it is famous for being the place where Astro Boy was born. (In the story, apparently the character was created in a factory in Takadanobaba.)

As I got out the train I was distracted by the 'doors are closing' song, which sounded very familiar somehow. Every JR train station has a 'doors are closing' chime, which often varies from station to station.

Then, leaving the bookstore, I saw a big mural featuring Astro Boy - and other characters of Osamu Tezuka - which I didn't really pay attention to, since I was more occupied trying to find the nearest Starbucks. In retrospect, if I'd known why it was there, I would've paid more attention to it.

And yes, the 'doors are closing' song was the Astro Boy theme...

No comments: