Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Looking forward to the Big Opening!!

For the last few months, the lower floors of Kawasaki BE have been closed for renovation. (Kawasaki BE is the large department store directly connected to Kawasaki train station.)

This was pretty annoying because they had the closest ATM for my bank, and I also heard they had a shoe repair shop. (I've been waiting months for the store to come back, because I haven't had the gumption to go find another place that does repairs.) And they had a good food court for buying bento, a large pharmacy, a flower shop where we used to be able to buy gifts, and various other things I missed having ready access to.

The reopening was slated for November. It feels like forever - it's been around 6 months - but it's now imminent. And for the first time, this week we've been able to see over the scaffolding to see which stores might be in the new BE.

Surprise 1 - a Starbucks. Now, I *love* Starbucks, but this is bordering on the ridiculous. There are already four Starbucks within 5 minutes' walk from Kawasaki station. It must be one of the highest concentrations of Starbucks in Japan.

Surprise 2 - a KRISPY KREME. These are rare. I've only seen one in Japan, and it was very busy. In their Shinjuku store, Krispy Kreme was kind of famous for attracting ludicrously long queues of people. As far as I know, there are only seven Krispy Kreme stores in all of Japan

Now I am about to walk past one every day right here in Kawasaki! ^_^

Ureshii! (Happy!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another Starbucks!! Choose a different one each day. Krispy Kreme is pretty cool though. Lucky you. Have to tell me what it's like - I've only every tried it once at Sydney airport. Oh, Japan Starbucks is still way better than HK and Singa ones. Haven't had a satisfying chai in Singas yet.