Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tanoshikatta

Today we had a potential student, an elementary school girl. When I came to meet her she was fairly quivering with excitement. This girl's love for English had to be seen to be believed. I taught her a few words in a fairly simple way and she was jumping about and saying 'tanoshikatta!' (that was fun!!).

She was brought by her grandparents, and I don't know if my teaching was especially impressive, but there was no denying that this girl was INTO it. Before I started, she had an air of 'oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm actually about to study some English!!' In fact, her grandparents said that it was the girl's decision to come to an English school - she was the one who begged to be able to come.

After mentioning that we were having a class of that level less than an hour later, they decided, on the spot, to join. And I mean, she actually stayed around and joined that class, the same day. I tell you, seeing this girl's face, you'd think all her Christmases had come at once.

So today I had three new students in my kids' class. This class has always had only one girl - for a full year, only one student - so our lessons have been fun but more subdued and with more direct interaction. Needless to say, the dynamic today was very, very different indeed. Instead of participating in every game, I was organising them and monitoring what they were doing. I kept it very energetic and we did a lot of running around etc. I'd been a bit apprehensive about it but it was a lot of fun. ^_^

No comments: