Thursday, May 1, 2008

In London some more

Yesterday:
  • I went to Westminster Abbey first off. Saw Big Ben unintentionally on the way, and the London Eye. It's not just a large church; think of a repository of the history of England's greats. It's full of shrouds and memorials and graves of famous people. Weather was fairly nasty; 12 and raining most of the day.
    Most of the population of the EU seemed to be surrounding me at all times. I don't know if it's just because of being in quiet Japan for so long, or because I had a bit of a cold, but they all seemed to be speaking very loudly and annoyed me.
  • Went on back to the Natural History Museum to suss out the rest of the exhibits. I had English FISH AND CHIPS in a cafe in South Kensington. So happy to have fish and chips again! And (sad to relate) I went back to the South Kensington donut shop again... mmm!...
  • Finished off by returning to Trafalgar Square to the National Gallery. I do like a good art gallery. And I like people in art galleries. I think it's because in galleries people don't talk loudly and take photos, they're slowly circling each room, sitting to ponder certain paintings, talking about history, saying things to each other like 'where do you think the focal point of this painting is?' I overheard part of a tour and you know, I never noticed it before, but the Virgin Mary is almost always painted wearing blue robes. Interesting, huh?
  • Met up with my friend and her boyfriend for an Indian curry near Liverpool Street. Yum. :)

    Today:
  • I went to Notting Hill. It was really great and the weather was actually quite nice for a few consecutive hours. Notting Hill's got a bit of that arty vibe - lots of cafes with organic fair trade coffee, and shops selling colourful scarves and homemade jewellery, that kind of thing. I had a coffee, bought five books (...), a t-shirt and some homemade soap.
  • After that, I went to Kensington Gardens, as the weather was still nice (an anomaly in London). Walked around for a while, enjoyed watching the squirrels. :)
  • Then I went back to Trafalgar Squre to check out the National Portrait Gallery.
  • No comments: