Friday, July 11, 2008

Gifts

A few of my students have given me small gifts lately. It's nice. One lady brought me back chocolate from New Zealand; another a bag of dango (traditional Japanese sweets) from Hakone. The mother of one of my child students gives me something virtually every week; packages of cocoa, a box of Australian chocolates, random sweets.

The best and most unexpected gift was a Japanese fan which one of my students had hand-painted herself, with lovely cherry blossoms. I've been wanting a fan to carry about with me in summer, but I don't think I'll relegate this one to everyday use; I'll keep it safe and put it on display.

Yesterday a student gave me a bag of shiso (a Japanese herb with a similar texture to mint). It was organic shiso from her own garden, and very good quality. There was a lot of it so I divvied it up between me, Yumi (our head teacher), Aya (our assistant manager) and Tomo (a student - the one who used to dress like a cowboy).

I wasn't sure what to do it so I put a bunch of it on a pizza and ate it for tea tonight. Oh, SO good... ^_^ I'm gonna try it in miso soup tomorrow for breakfast, I think. Ii na! ^_^

No comments: