Thursday, July 3, 2008

Nomikai (drinking parties)

'The student who gestures like an Italian' left this week, leaving a box of millefeuille chocolates. (And those things are difficult to pronounce in French, let alone the Japanese version of the French word...) He is going to live overseas. I wish him well. We had a small farewell drinks party for him after work today. Slightly to my surprise, he sang 'The Neverending Story' and 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun'. (And no, we weren't at karaoke.)

I tried many times to get him to say correctly 'girls just wanna have fun', but we never did get there. He did tell Pete several times the he loved him, haha. And this was without his usual huge number of beers, too. :)

Actually I've been going out after work a bit lately, apart from when I was sick, of course. (I'm pretty well better now.)

I haven't really mentioned Pete, my new co-worker (Jim left a couple of weeks ago now), he's from Canada. But we've had a couple of welcome/farewell bashes in their honour, plus I've been hanging out a bit with Pete and his friends from training etc. So it's been nice. I am spending a lot of money...

This weekend I'm supposed to be going to the soccer and to a festival. I've never seen a soccer game in my life, so I'm really looking forward to it. Kawasaki is playing Yokohama, which should be a conflict of interests for me (I work in Kawasaki, live in Yokohama), but I've always 'supported' Kawasaki. (I say 'supported' in the same way I always 'supported' the Crows in Australia - just picking whoever is supported by those around me. :))

I want to buy a Kawasaki Frontale t-shirt or something (Frontale is the name of the soccer team), but a whole lot of the department stores in our area are undergoing some kind of mass renovation, so the sports store is closed... I wonder what it will look like around here when it's unveiled?

Oh, and I was saying how our office used to always be overheated in winter? Well... I thought in summer it would be overcooled. But today it was 28.5 degrees in our office. Why?!

No comments: