Saturday, June 21, 2008

Mushiatsui

I was saying how we'd had an unprecendented six days of pleasant, clear weather. That time is over now, and I suspect there'll be no further reprieve until autumn.

The rainy season is now unmistakably here. The humidity has gone way up. In my apartment it's now about 28 and humid. This season has a host of associated problems:
-insect life (I found my first cockroach a couple of days ago)
-mould (fortunately haven't gotten any yet, but you have to leave all your cupboards and drawers open to ventilate, and hope that you don't come home to green fuzzy shoes or clothes
-clothes don't dry because of the high humidity inside and the rain outside
-food goes soft and/or rotten in the damp air
-it's really muggy and unpleasant
-food poisoning becomes a potential threat and you have to be really careful with any food preparation
-expensive electricity bills
-outside may be cool but if it's raining, you can't open your windows as it would 'let all the moisture in'; thus all interiors are really unpleasant
-the air conditioning in public places, though it may be blasting freezing air as before, doesn't feel like anything!
-my hair goes fuzzy
-everyone is sweating up a storm (though as yet, I haven't noticed a serious BO problem, just the odd person here and there)
-knowing that in a month's time, the humidity will be even higher and the average temperature at least 5 degrees more
-and of course, continual rain! (in this season, most people carry umbrellas every day as a matter of course)

I'm going to buy some dehumidifying pellets to leave in my cupboards. These things soak up extra moisture from the air, and thus protect your clothes etc. I might look into dehumidifiers too. If they aren't too expensive...

Oh well, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, so no doubt I'll be posting numerous complaints about the weather...

1 comment:

Penelope said...

You could try sprinkling crushed up Weet-Bix around inside your cupboards; that'd soak up the moisture quick smart! ;)

But seriously, the humidity does sound like a nasty problem. :(