Monday, November 3, 2008

Aki (autumn)

Well, we're heading into late autumn, and the start of my second year in Japan.

At this time last year, I was doing my first week of teacher's training, and everything was too new for me to notice much of the seasonal things. I've mentioned several times that Japan tends to draw attention to the changing seasons. Since mid-autumn, most people have been decked out in ridiculously warm coats and thick puffy vests. Yesterday it was sunny and pleasant, and I was in a t-shirt, long pants and sneakers, and my Japanese friend asked me 'aren't you cold?!'

I must say though that it is becoming quite cold at night. The sun sets at 5pm (I know, I know -_-) and in the evenings it's been getting down to 10, or 12, or so. I've had my balcony door wide open for the last few hours because I bought some new cleaner from the supermarket, being completely unable to read what it was, and started spraying it liberally about in the bathroom before realising that it's quite strong chlorine bleach.

My apartment is small and poorly ventilated, so I've been huddled in here cold while trying to get the bleach fumes out.

The vending machines have started re-stocking hot drinks, and this weekend I started seeing my first 'winter' signs. I suppose in a week or two, the 'autumn leaf' posters in the stations will be replaced with snow scenes.

Japan has certain foods that are good in different seasons - nabe in winter, etc. So I asked some of my students what I should eat in autumn. Mushrooms are good now, they said. And indeed, these days, supermarkets have quite a large section of good mushrooms. There are a lot more varieties than at home.

My pet favourite is shiitake mushrooms. I'm eating them right now. I could wax lyrical about them. They even look delicious.

You know, I rarely cook in Japan. Recently, whenever I have decided to cook, it's usually because I've seen some shiitake mushrooms in the supermarket and thought 'man, I gotta eat me some of them'.

November also means new contract time... and I still haven't decided... right now I'm thinking I *might* just renew for another 3 months. Doing so would allow me to enjoy another summer in Japan, but would negate any chance of being able to renew again. I suppose if I came to the end of my contract and decided I really, really wanted to stay in Japan, I could try to find work elsewhere. On the other hand, my coworkers and students are a major reason for me to stay here.

However, I've still not made up my mind, there's a chance I could renew for longer, or not renew at all. I like living in Japan a lot, but I miss Australia a little. I almost wish I was going back for my trip now, so I could see how I feel after. Maybe going back to Australia for a week or two will give me enough 'fix' of Australia, and family, and friends, so I feel I can easily continue in Japan for a lot longer. Or, maybe going back to Australia for a week or two will make me realise I want to go back to Australia... I dunno.

My main three choices are:
  • not renew; then I'd be finishing at the end of May
  • renew for 3 months or so; then I'd be finishing in August
  • renew for another 6 months; then I'd be finishing in November next year, but with the option of continuing longer

    At any rate, thanks everyone for your patience and support... I'm lucky to have good family and friends...
  • No comments: