Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fujisan ga mieru

The last day or two, it started to get really cold (again). Right now it's about 7 outside. It will get worse in winter, of course, but for November, it's cold enough!!

However, the cold weather has brought really clear, crisp skies. Two of my students today told me they could see Mt Fuji this morning.

I think I've mentioned this before - all around Tokyo and Kanagawa, where I live, on a sufficiently clear day, you can actually see Mt Fuji from any vantage point if it's high enough, or if there aren't many tall buildings around. For example, I can see Mt Fuji from the train to my Japanese teacher's house. However, I haven't seen it since last winter. I realised that the entire last 8 months have been mostly cloudy or hazy. Ironically, even when I *climbed* Mt Fuji, I couldn't see it until I was actually on it. Even driving away from it, five minutes away from it and it was so cloudy and foggy I couldn't see it! And it's a big mountain!!

So it's nice to have such clear blue skies again, even if everyone is rugged up in enough clothes to go to Antarctica...

***

Oh, I forgot to mention it here but my co-workers gave me a surprise birthday party last week! I was really touched. :) A couple of students also gave me gifts (most people didn't know it was my birthday though). I have some chocolates from Godiva here, lucky me. ^_^ My co-workers cooked for me, and we had oyakodon, ratatouille, and some other things, including shiitake mushrooms... I already enthused about shiitake mushrooms a couple of weeks ago, but these were stuffed with mince meat and negi. I liked them so much I tried making them myself last night. Really good!!

My coworkers - and other people around me - are so nice.

No comments: