Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

Today (well, yesterday - it's now 1:20am) was Thanksgiving Day. American Thanksgiving, anyway. (And come to think of it, I suppose it's still Thanksgiving Day in America, due to the time difference.)

Anyway, it was my first time to celebrate Thanksgiving. A bunch of us - mostly teachers from various schools, and a few friends of friends - met at the Hard Rock Cafe in Roppongi. I'd never been to a Hard Rock cafe before. We had a turkey dinner with cranberry sauce (admittedly, the turkey and vegetables came served with rice. It seemed somehow a fitting blend of cultures...)

We were quite an international group. There were ten of us, including 2 Aussies, 1 Pom, 2 Canadians, 1 Japanese guy, and 4 Americans.

We went around the table and said what we were thankful for.

Actually, I am thankful for a lot of things. I'm thankful to be here, in Japan. I'm thankful for a job I mostly like. I'm thankful for really nice co-workers. I'm thankful I'm starting to make more friends. I'm thankful for my social life - it's actually been really good the last few months. I get to do lots of interesting things; it seems like every weekend I'm having a blast.

I'm thankful for my friends back home. I'm thankful for my family, who are great. I'm thankful I can go to Australia next month and see everyone (thanks Mum and Dad!). I'm thankful I can enjoy my life so much and there are so many nice people around me everywhere.

No comments: