Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Samui-mui-mui! (It's co-co-cold!)

The last week has been the coldest so far. To put it into perspective, I come home into my apartment and it feels like walking into an oasis of warmth. But actually the temperature in my apartment is around 12 or 13 degrees. (My bank gave me a clock which displays the current temperature. I just got home so it's currently a toasty 11.8 degrees in here!)

This morning, though, I saw SNOW. I got up too late to see the snow actually falling, but I noticed it first on a car windshield. 'Is it ice, or snow?' I wondered. (It was raining all day today so a lot of snow had been washed away.) But no, there was definitely snow all the way along the way to the train station. None of it was in reach so I didn't get the chance to 'play in the snow' - there was only a little, and it has all melted by now. Still - snow! That doesn't happen every year in Yokohama, you know!

Today was the first day my feet were cold. I've had moments where my face or ears will actually hurt from the cold, but usually I am comfortable enough when wearing warm clothes. I think this is probably as bad as it will get. One of the teachers I went to training with is currently based in Asahikawa in Hokkaido, where it's reached an ambient -33 degrees!

I'm having a pretty busy week this week. Kind of ironic that I had endless time on my hands for the last four weeks, and no Internet access, and now that I've got the Internet, and Jim gave me some cool DVDs, and suddenly I can only snatch a short time online at a time! So I've been getting my Internet installed, I had a shamisen lesson, I'm having a private Japanese lesson, I have to go to Immigration (what a pain...), and my usual fun Saturday night going-out-after-work, which I love. On Monday I have to go to follow-up training, so I have a six-day work week. I also have to get a haircut soon... I'm looking forward to it, since my hairdresser is so cool, and I love the area where the hairdresser is.

Basically, any small activity usually takes a whole morning or afternoon. For example, having a private Japanese lesson. It's an hour lesson, and it's quite near my house, relatively speaking, but it still takes about an hour round-trip on the trains, connecting once and taking a bus...

Everyone, I hope you're doing well and enjoying the summer there. :) Hope you all had a great new year and are getting back into the swing of things at work, or whatever else you're doing. All my love! :)

No comments: