Monday, January 28, 2008

Tsukareta... (Tired...)

Had my follow-up training today. It was pretty good, and nice to catch up with everyone from training again. My manager and head teacher evaluated me last week and I'm pleased to say their feedback was good. They said they're glad to have me there, and that I have a very positive attitude, I'm hardworking, and the students think my classes are enjoyable. I was very happy to hear that, especially the last one, because really you don't know what students think. Sometimes I ask my manager, 'oh, what are students saying about my classes?' and she just says 'I'll tell you if there's a problem'. So it's nice to know.

They also gave me feedback on areas to improve, and I'm happy to hear that too. Just in the last week or two I've begun a bit of a shift in thinking. I think because I have slightly fewer classes than normal, and because I finally know all my students' names, I am really starting to see my students more as individuals, to start to recognise their strengths and weaknesses, and to be conscious that the lesson is not just about me getting up there and getting through my material - it's all about *their* perception of the class and of me as a teacher. It's not enough to just get through the lesson; you want to make every class good for every student, and meet every student's needs. It's a bit hard though...

I felt sorry for a couple of guys at training. They say they are still doing about an hour's lesson preparation per class! So they are always taking materials home and spending hours doing it over the weekend. I can fit all mine into work hours and have a little time to spare. So I feel lucky. I think it helps that I haven't been doing kids' teaching though; apparently that takes the most work.

I'm feeling pretty stuffed at the moment, I think just because 'commuting' to Tokyo can be a little draining. I had to take four trains to get back here, and the longest journey was standing all the way, holding my bag and coat and jacket...

I was craving strawberries this evening so I just bought a 'punnet'. Well, it only had seven strawberries in it, and cost about $3. I don't care. It was worth it. They were perfect. The only other strawberries I have seen here are more like $7 a punnet. Some fruits and vegetables are kind of expensive, since they're off-season, but strawberries are the worst. They are like a luxury item; people buy them as gifts...

So I didn't exactly have a 'weekend', what with working on Sunday and a very full day of training today; then I go straight into a new working week tomorrow. But I don't really care. I like work, anyway.

Actually, I still like pretty well everything about living in Japan and I feel happy every day. That's why it's no effort for me to have a positive attitude at work; I don't have to pretend. If I were actually bored or unmotivated, I'd find it very hard to put on a happy face... I still want to make more proper friends and go out more socially (not that I have any time at all for this at the moment...).

Right now I'm thinking about whether I'll go to London in my Golden Week holiday... a good friend of mine is living there now and I'd really like to visit her; I'd also really, really like to see London now that I'm old enough to fully appreciate it. Just imagine walking around the Tower of London, or the National Gallery... I have enough money, I guess it depends if I'm willing to fork over a lot of it. But really, why not? I can stay with her, and when will I get another opportunity like this?

Now I'm trying to work out if I should drag myself off the futon so I can make kimchi nabe and eat a light dinner before I go to bed... I think I will... I should really eat more vegetables... and it's a nice, warming meal...

Alright, good night... hope you are all well! :)

No comments: