Sunday, March 2, 2008

Spring is here

Spring has arrived in Japan. Of course it's still freezing cold. Nonetheless, there are a few telltale signs that the season is changing. Sakura (cherry blossom) decorations are everywhere - Starbucks is selling sakura cookies, bookstores are selling sakura stationery, gift shops are selling sakura glasses and bowls, etc.

Another telltale sign is all the students wearing face masks (like, surgical face masks - people wear them in public here). In winter, they wore face masks when they had colds to prevent spread of infection; now, they're wearing masks because of hayfever and pollen allergies (but... hayfever isn't contagious...?). Even though there's not a whole lot of nature around, hayfever seems to hit a lot of people very hard, and it's a typical seasonal thing for loads of people to suffer for three or four months...

We've had a few days recently with a maximum temperature of 15 degrees, which is a little warmer than it's been for a while. I've felt a bit more tired than usual lately, I think I always do when there's a change of season.

Finally, the plum blossoms have been out for a while. Tomorrow, I'm going to a Plum Blossom Festival, if it's not raining. Actually, I'm going with the volunteer teachers at the Women's Centre where I learn English. These volunteer teachers are all older women; housewives in their 40s, 50s, possibly 60s - and I was the only student invited, I think. I suppose I must have won my teacher's heart by giving her omiyage, hahah... It should be kind of interesting, a whole day with Japanese speakers who don't really speak English... hmmm...

No comments: