Friday, March 28, 2008

Suitable for all ages...

Today I went toy-buying for our office so we can amuse the kids that are waiting. Kids' lessons start for real next week. Japanese kids' toys are pretty similar to English ones, just with more Anpanman and Doraemon. I scoured the whole toy section thinking 'okay, now what would happen if a 2-year-old tried to eat this? How much would it hurt if a 3-year-old tried to throw this at me?' Hahaha...

Today I had a 'demo lesson' with a 2-year-old. Unsurprisingly for a child of her age, she was more interested in throwing the ball around and trying to pick up various materials I wasn't using, than listening to my brilliant lesson. On the bright side, one of the words I was trying to teach her was 'pick up'. So every time I could see her going for another object she wasn't 'supposed' to be playing with, I pre-empted her with 'pick up!' so it'd look like she was obeying me. Wow, you understand English so well! Hahaha...

Thankfully every small child I've had to deal with has had a bright and sunny disposition. No screaming and tears yet. :)

Right now I actually only have one definite kid's class, my student is an 8-year-old girl. She is really sweet and her English is pretty good already. Everyone in the office was charmed by her and hoped they'd get to teach her, so I was pretty lucky really.

All the sakura (cherry blossoms) have come out this week, a little earlier than people expected. But it's also been raining a lot. Sorry, back home you'll be jealous to hear that, but it's pretty well been raining every second day here for the last two weeks. I haven't really had much opportunity to enjoy them. It's kind of surprising just how many sakura trees there are scattered around the place; I was oblivious to all of them before, but now they're all stunning.

No comments: